Most people will humor me and listen to the songs I recommend. But their response never fails to disappoint me. "Well, the song's okay..." I take this response personally. How can something that stirs my soul be "okay?" How can something that pummels spiritual lightning through my verterbrae to my pineal gland be "pretty good?" I refuse that this is a matter of preference. I insist that the song is an exception, something that swims in the shared pool of human consciousness.
And I admit: it may seem like I'm taking this all too seriously. But I have a theory for why I enjoy music to this degree and intensity. I have failed to learn violin and piano and have pretty much resigned to -- no, embraced --mediocrity in my singing and guitar playing as fact. So maybe my music ineptitude is the reason.
I remember there was one episode of Curb your Enthusiasm. Larry was arguing with Jeff about whether skinny people appreciate food more than fat people. Jeff didn't think so: Fat people have more "food experience," which lends to a deeper appreciation of food. I tend to agree Larry, though. Skinny people probably enjoy food more. This is a broken analogy, but I'll trust you know where I'm going with this.
Most recently,
http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/index.php?page=ep24
Let me tell you. I spent 10 hours on my desk watching this 1 hour show. So I watched this straight through 10 times. It's obsession.

yo dan. this is tony (huang). been a while man. i saw the diane birch link on your facebook wall and ended up here. she's def got a special voice, but i gotta admit country just doesn't agree with my ear drums. i've been stuck on hip-hop and soul since high school. tupac amazingly hasn't gotten old yet.
ReplyDeleteanyway, how's it goin? hope you don't mind that i've added you on this thing. i've kept mine private/anonymous until now i guess. i use it mainly to post little things i've written and read so i don't forget. but yea let me know what's up man. take care.
hey tony, (changed the exclamation mark to a comma, don't want to seem to excited that someone visited here)
ReplyDeleteit's been okay. things should be happening soon but i don't want to keep my hopes up before I hear back. But I'm just basically chilling now. Parents are giving me the luxury, but they'll snap sooner or later.
Are you still at JHU? Or did you get the hell out of there right after graduation? I went to your journal and read some of the stuff you wrote. Did you write some of that? Quite literary, if you ask me. Are there supposed to be pictures along with each entry? I don't see them though.
Anyhow, keep me updated also. I'm surprised you found this, actually. It's been a long time since bertha and adanabobaboop